Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Anyone with Lew's Reels?

Default Anyone with Lew's Reels?

I'm looking into getting a lightweight rod/reel combo and even though I'm more of a Shimano/G. Loomis guy, I'm thinking about the Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool reel with 8lb Power Pro to pair with either my G. Loomis GL3 or my Shimano Convergence rod for freshwater. Sound like a decent setup?

Does anyone have any experience with this reel or this brand of reels? They're about the same price as a decent Shimano, so I'd rather get the better reel for the price. Thoughts anyone?

I heard lews cast well with light lure, 8lb is def. a good call, go on tackletours.com and read their review, might help.

I've read tons of reviews already and even heard of people who were "Shimano people" who have made the switch and won't look back. I have even had one in my hands while at the tackle store... it's smooth as silk. I'm just wondering about the reliability and longevity of the reel from people here on the boards.

I have a tournament pro and would absolutely recommend it. It's a great lightweight reel that comes stock with carbon drags, carbon swept handle and is loaded with bearings. Best bang for your buck type of reel.

I use to be a die hard shimano guy and with that said I have the Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool and it is a great real. No complaints here. I use it strictly for saltwater and still no issues for me. I have mine spooled with 30# braid. It's strong enough to pull on some big fish but can still toss out 1/4oz leadheads with no problem. For cast control it has both the magnetic and centrifugal cast control which really let you get the reel dialed in for whatever it is you are trying to do.

Sounds like a good reel... looks like I'll have to pick one of these up. To the people who chimed in, thanks for the info.

I have a Lew's and love it.

My only complaint is it used to be a real good reel for the price. Now the price has risen to match a lot of really nicer reels.

So the real draw of cost is now gone.

Summary is, its a great reel, but for the price, I would buy something else but this reel does cast VERY good and perform flawless

The local tackle shop bought a few too many and are running a sale on them. They are normally $200... but they are selling them for $150 right now. I can't match that deal on Amazon or eBay... so it sounds like now would be the time to pull the trigger if I wanted to buy one.