Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surf reel

Default surf reel

Have 1 Shimano Sahara 2500 FD and 1 Daiwa Exceller 2500. which reel would be better for surf fishing with 6-8# mono?

Sahara , shimanos do fine in the saltwater, those daiwa reels have issues with the bail, they break apart

I have a Sedona and Saros 2500 that I have used for the last 4 years in the surf no issues with regular service and cleaning after each use

I agree, stick with the Sahara.... I used the Sahara for the first 2 years of surf fishing... but then upgraded to the Shimano Stradic Ci4 3000 reel and have been using this reel ever since. It's a little over 2 oz. lighter, and that makes a difference for me when doing a 4-6 hour surf fishing session...

Yep these guys are correct stay with the Shimano

Guys Thanks for heads up. Would fish with Sahara 2500.

OK guys, i would like to fish with 20# braided line, which brand i should fish?

Quote Originally Posted by formosa View Post
    OK guys, i would like to fish with 20# braided line, which brand i should fish?
    ok, so the following are just my recommendations since this is what worked for me when I first started out surf fishing...

your Sahara 2500 reel is a great reel... buy a 150-yard spool of 20# PowerPro Braid (green or red color cause it's easier to see your line). When you spool it, either put just a few turns of mono backing first or a piece of fishing tape (your local tackle shop should have it) on the spool itself so that the braid won't slip later.

I'm not sure what fishing rod you have, but 7' or longer would be better, medium action, rated 1/4-3/4 oz would be perfect.

Also get some 1/2 oz (smaller/medium waves) and 3/4 oz (larger waves/surge) egg sinkers and size 7 barrel swivels and some 8# fluorocarbon leader (Seaguar Abrazx/Invisx/Red Label are fine). Also get a few packs of size 4 and 6 mosquito hooks. I like the size 4 mosquito/baitholder hooks to use with sandcrabs (if they are present) and size 6 mosquito for plastic grubs/camo sandworms if you are just starting out. If you are already accustomed to circle hooks, then the Owner Mutu Light circle hooks in size 4 for sandcrabs and size 6 for grubs/sandworm would be great.. and they really cut down on deep-gut hooked fish... if you just reel your line instead of pumping your fishing rod, more often than not, they'll be lip-hooked nicely for a better catch&release.

So, you basically do a carolina-rig with the 1/2 oz (or 3/4 oz if the waves/surge is rough) with about 18" fluorocarbon leader to your hook.

If you can dig/find sandcrabs, that is a great bait to use and they're free If not, you should buy a pack of these as well:

The 2" camo color Gulp sandworm is perhaps the easiest and quickest way you could start catching perch, croakers, etc. Just thread the sandworm on to your #6 hook. You can also try the ever popular Big Hammer perch grub in various colors, but the MORF (motor oil red flake) grub is also very popular.

So once you get to the beach, start casting at least over the 1st wave as it approaches (inside break) and always try to keep the tension on the line... you will have to reel in your line to maintain the tension as the waves push in your rig. You usually DO NOT have to cast out that far... most of the activiity occurs pretty close to shore (in front of the inside break). Sometimes, I'll try to cast towards the outside break and work my bait in to see where the fish are holding. But, often times, the big perch could be biting right at the water's edge.

If you don't get bites after a few casts, then try fan casting.... cast once out a little to your right, to your left... and if still nothing, then keep moving and casting until you find an area that's holding some fish. Another key thing you can learn about is how to find/read structure that is under the water... the best structure are usually troughs and holes where the fish like to feed.

anyways, hope this helps... my biggest piece of advice is just don't stand in one area if you're not getting bites... keep moving. Also, I really like to fish the couple hours before and after the peak high tide, so look that up before you go.

g'luck!
    Last edited by dkinla; 12-12-2013 at 10:09 PM.

dkinla;
    Thanks for your helpful information. I have Phenix Trifecta TRX-S907-2, AND TRX-S905-2 907 is ratted 10-30, 905 6-12.
    which rod should i fish with Sahara 2500?

Quote Originally Posted by formosa View Post
    dkinla;
    Thanks for your helpful information. I have Phenix Trifecta TRX-S907-2, AND TRX-S905-2 907 is ratted 10-30, 905 6-12.
    which rod should i fish with Sahara 2500?
    Definitely the 9' TRX-905-2 rated 6-12... pair that up with your Sahara 2500 and you got a pretty sweet setup already!

gluck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast