Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you get the SP Minows or LC lures beyond the waves on surf casting?

Default Do any of you get the SP Minows or LC lures beyond the waves on surf casting?

Hello All,

If so what are you using?

debating on daiwa's coastal salt pro rod 10 foot, not sure if that's long enough...

also, im 6'1, 230 lbs if my size matters for rod length.

Regards

learning to cast one is your first step. The Lc 110 weighs 5/8 of an ounce. I can cast mine about 40/50 yards. Most use an 8 footer.

I use a gloomis 8'6 steelhead rod paired with a shimano 3000 sustain fg . I can cast a mile with mine. I have it spooled to the top with 15 lb power pro with a short leader. The spectra helps a lot with casting along with the long rod.
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 10-30-2015 at 07:54 PM.

are you wading out into the surf? That helps a lot if you can safely walk out a bit.

Try tossing the Kroc.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    I use a gloomis 8'6 steelhead rod paired with a shimano 3000 sustain fg . I can cast a mile with mine. I have it spooled to the top with 15 lb power pro with a short leader. The spectra helps a lot with casting along with the long rod.
    Sorry, im very new to this, what is "spectra"

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    IM thinking about a 9 foot Daiwa Coastal rod?

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Try tossing the Kroc.
    I do have a few of those also, the pure silver and also one that looks like it has scales...very pretty lure. I believe it weighs as much as the bucktail i have.

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    learning to cast one is your first step. The Lc 110 weighs 5/8 of an ounce. I can cast mine about 40/50 yards. Most use an 8 footer.
    On my POS 50.00 daiwa combo i can already cast about 50 feet, which i believe is about 16 yards. 50 yards isn't bad if you ask me. I'm trying to get past the wave break, i read a lot of people trying to be at the 100 yard mark. That is my goal. Learning to cast is my first goal as soon as my rig is complete.

Thanks!!!

Spectra is another word for braid. It is used as backing on your reel to give you more yardage as opposed to mono. That way you can use a smaller reel and have the capacity to hold a lot of line. I h ave my reels spooled up to the top with spectra and use a short 2-3 foot topshot.

As far as the 100 yard goal, that's a big goal... I've never seen anyone throw a football field's length before with an lc. If you can get 40-50 yds, that's a great cast. Don't expect to do more than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast