Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with my LURE?

Quote Originally Posted by RamboBoy View Post
    It was set the hook on striper's mouth and battle, my test line is still loose, not tight... I retrieved a reel while I'm holding the pole up, but hook off...
    Well, then just put some scent on the lure and wait
    half a second before you set the hook.

I don't use the scent...the crankbait has rattle (when you shake the lure it has noise sound)

If I go to the Lake and I will use the scent on a worm. The duct is the different from the lake.

Was that 1" tag end on there when you were using that lure, like it is in the 2nd pic?

Maybe that spooked the fish.

Ugly color lure, maybe it spit it out b/c it was finicky?

Better luck next time.

Try a different hookset. Instead of going straight up to set the hook go with a side sweeping and reeling hookset.

You are using a hard bait dude. The trebles are small and pull easily, no matter how you put it. When you set use a side set. Swing the rod to the side while reeling a few cranks. The current in the channel and the fish are working slack into the line. You want to reel and set to the side hard to get as much slack out as possible.
    Also, check your drags. You dont want to hook a good fish with the drags set to the max. Drags should be set at 1/4 the line strength. For 15lb test that means about 4lbs of drag is about right. Let the fish take drag. Hes not going anywhere in the duct. Fight em and follow the fish if necessary.
    Your lures is a Cordell Red Fin. Good lure but it comes with crap hooks. Screw the hook sharpeners.You cant make a bad hook sharp enough, especially when you can buy chemically sharpened hooks that are sharper than anything you can do by hand. Go to a shop and buy a pack of Owner trebles. You get six to a pack. Size 4 or 6 are fine for that bait. Use a pair of fine needle nose pliers to open the split rings and change out the hooks. Sport Chalet carries the hooks.

Default upgrade the treble hooks

Dockboy hit it right on the head ...I always change out my stock trebles with Owners unless its a better qulity lure which usually come with better hooks....and definitely try the side swing hookset once you feel like the fish is on I personally set it again just to make sure they dont get away...I fish pyramid and castaic for Stripers and use a 7ft Clarus MH rod rated for 12-20 lb better hooksets IMO.I have been wanting to get out to the duct i have never been there let me know the next you go if you need a partner

BassinChef

Hope you dont mind the advice. The first thing i do with hard baits ,with those silver hooks is go with the bronze ,and over size them as much as i can ,without jacking up the swimming action. They will wear out in salt water ,but its worth it. I like my claris flipping stick 7' 6" 10 to 20lb. Matched with a shimano cardiff 200 loaded with crystal 8lb dia. 20lb rated braid ,with a 12lb to 15lb floro leader. Thats also is my jetty set up for bass. It gives great hook setting ,and can power any fish in when needed. Just my thing peace out, and good luck ....mike the pmb......

Never forget, "your fighting for a Trophy, the fish is fighting for its Life"...

It will do everything it can to get lose....

I can only guess here with the limited info posted...
    Here goes...

Hard baits allow the fish to throw it easier then normal, the weight of the lure helps pull the hook lose/out when it shakes its head...
    Cheap hooks, Probably part of the problem, they dont cut deep and the angle doesnt allow for a 'deeper' dig with pressure..
    You should not have to do a hard hook set with hard hitting/fighting fish (Striper).. the Hook set is mostly done with the Slam and fight... Just a couple of tugs should set it deeper...
    To much drag on Reel. This easily pulls the hook all the way through the flesh or lip and "See Ya"...

Suggestion:
    Lighten your drag and play the fish more.. (1/3 of line rating is recommended). Less likely to pull hook all the way through flesh/lip etc.
    Replace hooks with quality proven Hooks (Owner are best)....
    Dont do the "Bill Dance" hook set (very hard and violent)....
    If the fish is jumping, try and keep rod at side/low angle with pressure, to keep it from clearing water so much. The out of water time & shaking allows for easier throwing of the hook using the weight of the lure...

Thats why they call it 'fishing', not catching...
    Sometimes the fish win......

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    Dont do the "Bill Dance" hook set (very hard and violent)....
    But I look good doing the Bill Dance hook set.

i switch out all my topwater stuff with the biggest "stinger treble" i can get away with. just what i do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast