Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spinning Reel Advice

Quote Originally Posted by fish_sauce View Post
    i've had good experiences with the Quantum Catalyst PTi's.

check them out online, most online stores and ebay will have the 2009 model for around $90-$120 depending on where you look, and the older model, which works about the same for 20 or 30 bucks less.

A couple of features i really love about the reel:

The bail arm is made out of titanium--it doesnt get distorted or bent easily after numberous battles with bigger fish, or if you drop your gear accidentally.

solid aluminum frame

instant anti-reverse for fast hook setting

Tru-Balance system---the reel just feels smooth on retrieves without the wobbly feeling you get from lower end reels.

Scratch-resistant coating...God knows how many times i've dropped my PTi's on concrete...the coating they have on the frame is SOLID. The spool, however, is not covered in that coating.

Magnetic Bail-trip system...this is by far superior to the traditional spring bail trip system...if you fish in the surf or in sandy area, sand will inevitably make its way between your moving parts, especially the bail arm...the magnetic bail eliminates a lot of problems that i've had with the spring system.

i was so impressed with this reel that whenever i see one for sale (either used or new) i always want to pick it up. In fact, i purchased one off an FNN member a year back...for what you get, its definitely worth the money.

heres the TackleTour article on it: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantpti.html

good luck on your hunt, and let us know what you end up getting!

i forgot to add that...when it comes to fishing gear, it makes more sense in the long run to make a good investment. I'm not exactly swimming in money myself, but i've found that its better to make one good purchase that'll last you years to come as oppose to having many small purchases that crap out on you within literally weeks or months of use. Just the hassle of having to deal with warranties and potentially losing that big fish is in itself good reasons for a better investment.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! If I don't see something I like at the Fred Hall Show today, I will probably get a Quantum Catalyst or Energy PTI Cabela's has them on sale for like 33% off. I'm not really into baitcasting. I have one Abu Garcia BC with a left hand retrieve and I hardly ever use it. Nessie is right, I don't really need expensive or traditional equipment when I fish. My legal flattie was caught on a Rapala 4foot 8 inch Junior pro rod with the Junior pro 2 bearing spinning reel with 6 pound test on a beetlespin. I got this fish to the boat with no problems. The tackle ho in me just came out, but I now see that I don't belong playing in this playground. This Tackle & Gear section is for the Big Boys!

Thanks alot guys and good fishing to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Fe Eric View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! If I don't see something I like at the Fred Hall Show today, I will probably get a Quantum Catalyst or Energy PTI Cabela's has them on sale for like 33% off. I'm not really into baitcasting. I have one Abu Garcia BC with a left hand retrieve and I hardly ever use it. Nessie is right, I don't really need expensive or traditional equipment when I fish. My legal flattie was caught on a Rapala 4foot 8 inch Junior pro rod with the Junior pro 2 bearing spinning reel with 6 pound test on a beetlespin. I got this fish to the boat with no problems. The tackle ho in me just came out, but I now see that I don't belong playing in this playground. This Tackle & Gear section is for the Big Boys!

Thanks alot guys and good fishing to you!
    No problem, but I do have one last piece of advice: DON'T GET A QUANTAM! There are just too many stories about their spinning reels breaking apart. Stick with Shimano or Daiwa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12