Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: swimmie set up

ya dude get what your saying i aint afraid of breaking off though and if i do start having trouble with braid i just put some 20# izor or gamma. i feel plenty confident enough with 20# unless i were to hook into like a 18 plus striper then i would get worried but other than that im cool with the largies unless i were to hook into a 20 or something
    Last edited by hookup; 05-04-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Remember if you keep your drags in shape and tuned right for the size line you are using, the fight is your least concern. If you have everything right, your reel can put out 5lbs of drag on 20lb without issue. I rarely, if ever, go above a quarter. I have gone to half when throwing the Mission Fish in massive tule lay downs, but that is rare.

BSP, I think you'll enjoy the Triple Fish. Its one of the best lines I've ever had the pleasure to use for SBs. My standard is 25lb. P-Line CXXX or Izorline Platinum, both of which are tough. But the TF is damn good stuff, great memory qualities and great strength. For flouro, I know guys who use it exclusively. One trick is to use 30lb, with the reduced line spectrum it looks more like 25 mono in the water, and you get the increased sensitivity and abrasion resistance. I prefer to use a flouro leader instead, which is something I care over from saltwater fishing. If the bite gets tough, the difference in visibility between 20-25lb mono and the same sized flouro can save the day. Another tip I learned from the guys at the Calfishing board

thanks man i need to learn how to set my drag for the right line. someone helped me out with that at dvl one day and set it for me.

dockboy, I am looking forward to trying the TF. It is cheap, so if it works well I will have a new go to line. I know all about flouro leaders since I mainly target various saltwater fish. I will try it too, but I really like minimizing points of potential failure when tossing swimbaits. Thanks for the advice!

hookup, set the drag so the line comes out slowly but steadily when you pull really hard on your lure. Generally, 1/4 or 1/3 of your line strength is good like dockboy said, but if you don't have access to a scale the above works.

thanks man appreciate it how do you use the scale to set your drag though a guy did it at dvl with me with his scale but i forgot how to do it.

Tie a knot to your scale, adjust the drag to where you think it should be, and pull constantly until line comes off the reel. The scale will register a weight while you are pulling. That is your current drag setting. Release the tension, adjust your drag up or down, pull again, and repeat until you get the correct setting or really close to it.

thanks for the info on drag will help a lot in the future.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123