Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Treble hook alternative

Default Treble hook alternative

I want to replace the treble hooks on some cd-3's panther martins and a few others for some catch and release fishing. can anyone suggest size shape style etc...

Without changing out the hooks you can just squeeze the small barbs with some plyers to make the removal easier. Some people even cut off one of the hooks so its no longer a treble but now a double?

My all around single hook size is an 8 so I would use that to replace the treble. Long shank really helps with removal because its easier to see the hook in the fish's throat. Again squeeze out the barb or use barbless hooks and removal is a snap.

A #6 mosquito hook works well for the size fours. The smaller creek sizes I use a #10 mosquito hook.

i agree with skyler. mosquito hooks do work.

bass assassin#23

You can also use Circle hooks for catch and release.

thanks for the input, I check out both the mosquito hooks and circle hooks,
    I've pinched off barbs on treble hooks before, but it can still be a pain in the butt when your doing C&R and the fish is hooked on all 3.

I'm sure the fish will appreciate it too.
    Last edited by jim532; 05-21-2009 at 09:00 AM.