Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setup Ideas!

GL2s are not worth the price. You can get yourself an arguably better rod by spending the same amount of money.
    Just bought a second in 7'.
    Sometimes it's about what feels right.
    I've felt a lot of other rods and didn't feel anything I liked better around this price. I have owned Cumaras and still own several Shimanos. I don't like Dob or phoenix or st croix or any of that stuff. Not my style. Yes, there is probably better values, but I actually prefer this rod over those.

Also, you won't find any loomis rods at a better value. That's as low as it gets. I've seen several people actually recommend GL2' and 3's over lots of other loomis rods. They feel great and at less than half the price of the top end loomis stuff.

st croix avid series and even shimano crucial series are better rods for the price. they're just trying to get you to pay for that name. even the glx aren't worth what they try to charge for them. st croix blanks are made in the USA too. they're not your "style"?

Yep.
    At least I haven't liked any of the ones I felt yet.
    I'm sorry if it rubs you wrong that I'll pay for a loomis..
    I like them. They feel good. I have felt other rods and keep buying these.
    Nothing wrong with them at all. OK guides, grips and blanks and they feel and work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    I don't like Dob or phoenix or st croix or any of that stuff. Not my style. Yes, there is probably better values, but I actually prefer this rod over those.
    When looking at rods, I usually put performance and pricing over 'style.'

What exactly is the 'style' that makes you prefer the GL2s? I think it's widely recognized that for the coin you are spending, the blanks are not light, not very sensitive, and the components are average at best and you did mention you like the full foregrip and non-split rear grip, but that can't be the only reason, right?

I love my Kistler Heliums, but I'm not impressed with the Magnesium series. They're a bit top heavy IMO. Plus, I'm not too fond of the label stating what the best uses are for that specific rod. For the money, I'd go with DS' recommendation of the Powell.

What exactly is the 'style' that makes you prefer the GL2s?
    I don't know? Classic?
    Is it wrong to say different brand of rods have their own style to them?
    Like the bright orange carrot stick I bought today?
    Nice to be able to compare on the field..

On your list, I'd get a chronarch and a carrot, but if it were me, it rather have a sol or an alphas with a rogue or a dobyns. I have no idea what you're gonna use it for so I can't offer you a model. Phenox rods are good too, but I think are just a bit overrated. Remember, if you do go with a daiwa, do not forget to replace the drags.

i second the powell w/curados or the cronarch mg...hands down!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12