Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: how hard is it to cast the avet sx

Default how hard is it to cast the avet sx

im good with freshwater baitcasters but as i understand it.. these salt water reels like avet sx/mxj daiwa saltist shimano torium don't have brakes so i must thumb when the lure hits water which shouldn't be a problem

but now avet has that magic cast versions of their reels and im wondering if it's worth the extra 50 bucks to have mag brakes like on daiwa bass reels...

what do you guys think..

and by the way which one should i go for if i'm looking to toss jigs sometime and fly line bait fish

1. avet sx
    2. avet sx magic cast
    3. saltist 30 high speed
    4. torium 16
    Last edited by silversx; 06-22-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Throwing bait and jigs on the saltwater models is a much different action than the freshwater stuff. Its much more of a pendalum motion with leaving a lot more line hanging down from the rod tip and letting the pendalum generate the lure speed and not your arm and rod speed. Thumb is much more important in the process and it takes some getting used to. I would head out to a local field with a 1 - 2 oz rubber core on for starters and give it a whirl. The pendalum is why so many use 8-9ft stick becuase they generate much more lure speed.

If youre looking to flyline and toss jigs with the same setup...an Avet MXJ should work for you. I wouldnt get the MC if you can already cast baitcasters pretty well...Instead I would get the 2 speed feature Retrieve your jigs in high speed...hook into something big...bump it into low. Just practice and you should get the hang of it.

why the mxj .. isn't it the same as an sx but with more line cap?

same drag strength too right.. im pairing this with a shimano teramar 7'6" heavy xfast so i was thinking something light and small

whats the benefit of the mxj

I think that the SX would be a little too small to throw jigs.

More line would be your best bet.

Like any casting reel, you will get used to casting it. I know it seems like a daunting task to stop the spool when the lure hits the water, but it isn't that tough.

Just like riding a bike, learning how to cook learning how to drive, learning how to get free por....umm... let's just stop here. It all takes PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

The SX CAN be used to throw iron and you probably can get just as good at throwing with it it's just a matter of practice and technique. I've thrown Iron with my Avet's and I have no problem with them whatsoever. Maybe I come up a little shorter in distance than some people but so what, I'm not in a jig slinging competition with them.

If your going to be using the SX in local waters or on multi day trip it will be fine. Some people will say you will have issues with line capacity, well if your completely spooled with mono then yes that would be an issue, but most avet's these day's are going to have a backing of spectra on there. Remember Avet's were designed with spectra in mind, so put the spectra on and then a mono topshot. My SX has 300 yds of 40# spectra on there along with a topshot of 25# mono. If your telling me that you can't stop a yellowtail with 300+ yds of line on your reel then your not using your gear correctly.

My SX has been on fight's with yellowfin where they took me down to about half spool or so but I got it all back and running out of line was never an issue when I was using it.

Now on the other hand if you were to say you wanted to take the SX on a 10 + day trip and catch 100+ pound tuna on it, I'd say it's possible but you are seriously going to be outgunned.