Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carry-ons for plane?

Quote Originally Posted by spartafish View Post
    i flew out of san fran to JFK and from JFK to san fran with a small tackle box in my carry on. hooks and call. the TSA website says theyre okay. it says to carry on flies because theyre fragile. a fly is a hook with thread on it. it says pliers are okay, as long as theyre not pointy and are shorter than a certain length.

i had zero issues with my fishing stuff. the guy just asked what in my rod case before he scanned it. i said a fishing rod, he said ok. that was all the interaction i had at security.

i dont understand what everyone keeps saying about airlines being different. airlines do not insect your luggage. if you get pas security, how would the airline people at the gate know whats in your backpack?
    Thanks for the input! From the sounds of it, it seems like if you have a larger reel like anything bigger than a Daiwa Saltist 30, you'll more than likely need to strip the line off. And if you have hooks that are larger than 4/0 or 5/0, you'll probably want to check those in... I don't see why security would need to worry about anything smaller.

And yea, I was kinda wondering why ppl were talking about airlines when it's really just the security checkpoints you have to worry about. Maybe they meant different airports, and not airlines?

Anyway, we'll see how they are at LAX. Hopefully lax! lol :D

I got it in 3-4 days at my Hotel, it was really quick actually.

As far as fishing line on the spool... I've usually had no problems.

When I go to Cabo, so long as the line is on the reel, they had no problems w/us carrying on board, b/c they know the reels are expensive and have had complaints of them being stolen in baggage. They only have problems with an extra spool of line that you bring (not on a reel), you have to check that in.

I've taken a spinning reel spooled to Hawaii and to Hong Kong on my carry-on luggage with no problems. I plan to take the same one to Greece as well... Hope this helps.

d
    Last edited by drifter57; 07-27-2009 at 04:33 PM.

I know you are not talking about international travel but recently traveled in Asia. I started off carrying four short rods on the plane. Then in Hong Kong airport where I was in transit, one of the agents absolutely insisted on confiscating my rod and said the only way I can retrieve them is to fly back in a week to pick the up, or have a friend living in Hong Kong pick them up. Not having friends in HK, that was not an option.

To cut a long story short,I was not about to give up those 4 rods which were not exactly cheap rods. So I ended up missing my flight in order to have the airline pack them for me to ship via the cargo hold. Thankfully they did make it fine and I caught the next flight out.

My point: It is not just the departure airport that you have to check with. You may need to check with any transit airport TSA also.

Incidentally, when I got my airline to agree to pack it for me and I went to retrieve the rods from the agent, he looked decidedly unhappy about returning the rods to me. All in all, a very unpleasant experience at the Hong Kong airport.

UL

you know what you're right, the last time i went thru HK, they just recently disallowed rodtubes as carry-ons, and I had the same problem. I'm hoping to just take a rod within my luggage and see how it's going to work out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123