Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Newell Newbie...

Default Newell Newbie...

I just got my brand new Newell P533 4.6 from mahi tackle. I got the lower speed reel because off recomendations and because i did want to be able to grind on the yellows. I am using it as my surface iron reel, its on my 9'3" seeker ulua. I only put like 20ft of line on it just to throw the jigs in my pool. I know it have the lower speed gear ratio, but man its slowwwww. i cant even burn a 7x. So my questions are....

- Is there something i should adjust on the reel to make it faster?

- When i fill the reel with 50lb will it become faster? (might be a stupid question)

- Any comments or help on the reel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    SamGann

i got it. nevermind.

its just because the spool isnt full. i thought that might be it but i was confirmed.
    Last edited by samgann93; 08-08-2009 at 08:08 PM.

I would spool it with 40#....50 is a little harder to cast...unless you are strictly using it for yo yo and heavy iron.

Quote Originally Posted by victor101 View Post
    I would spool it with 40#....50 is a little harder to cast...unless you are strictly using it for yo yo and heavy iron.
    what you know about Newells?? All you fish is accurates wearing your fishworks shorts....

GD

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    what you know about Newells?? All you fish is accurates wearing your fishworks shorts....

GD
    what you talking about? i strictly fish upside down spinners on conventional rods... and i wear FishwUrks shorts. They go good with my XtrOtuff boots

Quote Originally Posted by samgann93 View Post
    I just got my brand new Newell P533 4.6 from mahi tackle. I got the lower speed reel because off recomendations and because i did want to be able to grind on the yellows. I am using it as my surface iron reel, its on my 9'3" seeker ulua. I only put like 20ft of line on it just to throw the jigs in my pool. I know it have the lower speed gear ratio, but man its slowwwww. i cant even burn a 7x. So my questions are....

- Is there something i should adjust on the reel to make it faster?

- When i fill the reel with 50lb will it become faster? (might be a stupid question)

- Any comments or help on the reel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    SamGann
    Before I comment, you need to know I have and LOVE my Newells. I own a few 200 series and 300 series.
    Although it's too late now...you should have gone two-speed. When YO-YOin' you'll be crankin' you're arm off w/4.6 but anything higher is hard to "put the wood" to them. I still have one of the original TLD 2-speeds (called Beastmaster 12/30 when they first came out). It's my go to YO-YO yellow reel with my D8 (Hey Ghetto Dad, does this give you an idea of how old I am?). My converted 113 (custom narrow) has not seen the light of day since I bought a 2-speed.
    If you've never tried a 2-speed, you need to beg, borrow or steal (well not steal ) one to try. After I got mine, I rearmed my entire arsenal (just about) from my 40# to 100# outfits with 2-speeds. I was able to land a lot more fish because I took fewer breaks after catching fish.

Quote Originally Posted by victor101 View Post
    what you talking about? i strictly fish upside down spinners on conventional rods... and i wear FishwUrks shorts. They go good with my XtrOtuff boots
    THAT'S FUNNY
    LW
    Last edited by Liteweight; 08-10-2009 at 12:38 AM.

you should have got the 5.5!!!!!! grrr!!! you'll learn... (the hard way)

im not yo yo fishing. haha. its the surface iron. if i was yo yoing i woulda got a 2 speed.