Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Water bug bites

Default Water bug bites

Now that the water has warmed up to almost 80 in Lake Perris, I was just wondering if anyone that fishes without waders has been bitten by aquatic insects or whatever on the legs while tubing? I've heard people say this, especially when you have to kick through the water plants to go out, and when coming to shore to get out. Guys have told me that something in the water makes their legs itch. ... ?

some of the bushes in the water are kinda abrasive or have micro spikes on them that irritates the skin. happens to me but usualy a hot shower makes it go away.

I never have a problem with bites and I'm out there all the time.
    I started seeing surface temps of 80 in late June. Going through weed beds is even hotter.

I do have other problems though

Can you tell I wear booties

Wow! I thought my legs were ugly!...JK OK I'm going to go for it! Insects really never bother me much. My wife however... everything bites and stings her!

2 times at Silverwood.. Hottest part of summer...???

First time I went with a friend (hazmat) he went to the beach the next day, Thought he had sand flea bites..
    Took about 24 - 30 hrs for them to show up???

I had several bites on both legs at the water line...
    Like mosquito bites only itched much, much worse and lasted for 7 - 10 days...

2 weeks later I went alone, same thing...
    Called Brad (hazmat) and we came to the conclusion, it was bugs at the wood.....
    Didnt put it together till My second trip & the phone call....

I wear my waders now......................

There are actually quite a few aquatic insects that can give a nasty bite.

Waterboatmen and backswimmers can deliver very painful bites with venom.

They are like the tiny version of the Giant water bug. Now those things are no joke.

I got nipped by one before, it freaking hurts! Its like a nail being driven into you.

baby catfish can give you a nice little puncture if you scare them. Those spines on the fins ARE defensive weapons, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Wow! I thought my legs were ugly!...JK OK I'm going to go for it! Insects really never bother me much. My wife however... everything bites and stings her!
    \

Hey easy now or I'll post up the whole foot/toes shot

I never had much of a bug problem on land either. Maybe we're just not very tasty.

The last few weeks I started to wear some warm up pants over my swim shorts for sun protection. They are cheap and and don't bother my kicking. They just might add some bug protection too.