Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Saros vs. Stradic (Shimo)

Default Saros vs. Stradic (Shimo)

I'm debating between the Shimo Stradic vs. Saros, and while googling I came across a post where the author (nick: Bantam1 and is a shimano staff) made a very good (technical) comparison of the two reels. Thought it would be helpful for those who's in the market for a new spinning.

The Stradic and Saros use the same drag material and drag design. Both reels have equally smooth drags so there is no real difference there. The main difference is in the oscillation.

The Saros uses an oscillation gear with Super Slow Oscillation. This allows the line to stack flatter and more consistent than a normal oscillation speed. The standard oscillation gear design will make line stack more like an hour glass. This is because of the dwell time at the top and bottom of the stroke. Its not as noticeable with mono as it is with braided line. There are several ways around this such as an elliptical shaped oscillation gear (which we use on some models) but its not relevant to this topic.

The Stradic uses a worm gear design. This stacks the line very precisely compared to an oscillation gear. The use of braided line on spinning reels is increasing. This design is absolutely the best for use with braided lines. We use the new Aerowrap II worm gear. This is a fancy name for a two speed oscillation. By making the speed change the line will never dig into itself under pressure. This is very important with braided line. The benefit is that casting performance improves due to reduced friction on the line. We also tuned the speed to work with our new spool design to further eliminate line twist. It works in the same manner with mono and FC lines.

After all of this I would say if you plan to use braided line then I would go with the Stradic for improved performance. The Saros will handle the job, but the Stradic will be better. If you will use mono or FC then either reel will be fine with the Stradic still offering slightly better casting performance.
    As for the ligher magnesium Stradic, here is what you need to know:
    Our Stradic MGFB is approved for saltwater. The MG model is slightly lighter, other than that they are the same.
    Knowing this helps my decision making process Stradically smooth
    Last edited by whate; 09-06-2009 at 10:41 AM.

So basically the only difference you will notice is weight..

Said it before and will say it agian many times, Saros is the best value for a spinning reel. Period.

I got a saros 1000 And it owns baitcasters lol.

yea this is exactly what I came up with when comparing the 2 when I was looking for a spinning reel The saros is just a little heavier. Also it comes with spacers to fix that little hour glass shape or whatever in the spool it actually has a few pictuers in the manual for you to go by.

Stradic CI4