Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Saltwater Trolling Jigs

Default Saltwater Trolling Jigs

What are the basic couple of saltwater trolling jigs to start with, in terms of the bite right now with the tuna and dorado? I have heard always have a cedar plug, but what size, color, and other jigs - plastic or feathers, certain colors? Thanks for any input.

zuchini, mexican flag, black/purple, red/orange trolling lures tend to be the basic standards. In terms of sizes it's hard to say. Sometimes they will bite the small ones and other times they will bite the bigger ones.

Don't forget about the cedar plug.

I would say my three fav colors to have are zucchini, mex flag, and purple/black. I also carry some small ones as well as some larger ones, as RickyRay put it you need to have the size fish like. As for feather/plastic, I personally prefer feather. I think they hold up better, but havent noticed a difference in bites between the two.

Are you trolling on a private boat or a charter? Most charters will prefer feathers/plastic if you want to use your own gear.

I usually use feathers in mexi flag, zuchi, and black purple. Zukers makes really nice trolling jigs. Also if you are in NB area, Anglers Center has nice feathers that has yielded some nice albies and yft.

If you use cedar plug make sure you set it out at the correct distance. If they are not set out correctly I have seen some epic tangles because of the swimming action of cedar plugs.