Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Phenix or G-Loomis?

the killa Guest

how much do those go for?

Quote Originally Posted by the killa View Post
    how much do those go for?
    As far as I know he dosent sell them. he just dose it for fun........

Trout 1

Been trying to get some stuff off of him for a while. Got him to go, but I had to come pick the stuff up and that didn't work out. Mike, if you're reading this, I wouldn't mind at all sending you $$$ for some DS baits and trout worms. Guy's got some nice stuff and definitely has a market.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout 1 View Post
    Cool man!! The only real hang up with Phenix I have is the team members I have met have been so fricken arrogant!!!! It was like i was a bad fisherman cuz i didnt have a Phenix rod. It also mad me mad when one of the "team members" took my rod right out of my hand and said "this is how you catch a fish" and he snagged a trout I was at a loss of words but i told him off thats for sure! But everything else about Phenix seems great!! I have heard they dont have a real team anymore not sure tho??

Trout 1
    Be comforted to the fact that your not the only guy who has echoed that experience with the "Phenix Pro Staff" or whatever label they wish to self aggrandize themselves as.... I suppose if you're going to promote the Phenix rod as THE rod to snag with, well, Mission Accomplished!

It's too bad, cause I have met some Phenix rod wrappers that aren't part of the pay lake team (s), and they are seemingly good guys that are embarassed to be associated with all that.

My 2 cents re: rods in all this is to check out St. Croix. Lot's of bang for the buck, but at the end of the day if your wallet is fat, the top of the line GLoomis I hear is hard to compete with. The 2 Phenix rods I fished with so far seemed really nice (one was a bass rod and we were striper fishing), just seemed a bit pricey for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    Be comforted to the fact that your not the only guy who has echoed that experience with the "Phenix Pro Staff" or whatever label they wish to self aggrandize themselves as.... I suppose if you're going to promote the Phenix rod as THE rod to snag with, well, Mission Accomplished!

It's too bad, cause I have met some Phenix rod wrappers that aren't part of the pay lake team (s), and they are seemingly good guys that are embarassed to be associated with all that.

My 2 cents re: rods in all this is to check out St. Croix. Lot's of bang for the buck, but at the end of the day if your wallet is fat, the top of the line GLoomis I hear is hard to compete with. The 2 Phenix rods I fished with so far seemed really nice (one was a bass rod and we were striper fishing), just seemed a bit pricey for what you get.
    As far as the "Phenix Pro Staff" goes, talking with one of the new owners (Jason) he assured me that they are distancing themselves from that type of thing. They don't want the negative vibe. I know of a few guys that promote their products and they are genuinely good people. They as a whole are headed in the right direction and I truly believe this. Not a fanboy just an observer from the sidelines.

get a sage blank and get it custom wrapped, they are so sensitive that you can run a small castmaster over a quarter and you can tell if it's heads or tails........good luck!!!!!!!

the killa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post

Rich, Please lets not bash any company's on here. I'm on the Phenix Pro Staff and I can assure you that their is only 3 guys from last year that are on the Phenix Pro Staff, which is Adrain Pintor, Chris Rhodes, and Frank Duarte. So PLEASE lets not go back to bashing. Thanks Rich.

Trout1: Weather you chose to pick a G-Loomis, Sage, Phenix, Kencor ect... Just make sure it fits your style of fishing. I personally fish the older Phenix rods (Elixer Series) for bait and I have the Iron Feather and the Mirage for my mini jig rods. Some people LOVE the Elixer series rods for mini jig. I just think it too heavy and stiff. What I'm getting at is, just take a reel to a shop and try it on the rods ofyour choice. Who knows what you are gonna like.

Quote Originally Posted by the killa View Post
    Rich, Please lets not bash any company's on here. I'm on the Phenix Pro Staff and I can assure you that their is only 3 guys from last year that are on the Phenix Pro Staff, which is Adrain Pintor, Chris Rhodes, and Frank Duarte. So PLEASE lets not go back to bashing. Thanks Rich.
    The Fish Taco,

First, please point out where I bash the company itself.

If you care to carefully re-read my prior statement, I stated that on the occasions I fished Phenix rods, they were "really nice", but in my opinion, "a bit pricey". How is that "bashing" a Phenix rods? It's what we call in the english language, a statement of opinion. On the issue of pricey, so are Gloomis rods. In my opinion, in the context of SoCal truck trout fishing, I find most rods too pricey for what you anticipate catching. Call me cheap, if anything.

That you acknowledge your "Phenix Pro Staff Team" dumped certain members is an admission that there were "problems". One need only read any given Irvine Lake trout derby in the past 2 years to see there were constant allegations of Team Phenix snagging fish etc... Whether or not the allegations were in fact true for every incident it was made public on this message board is another matter. However, we can agree by your very own admission you acknowledge your "team" had "issues", and many Irvine Lake patrons voiced displeasure of your team's fishing practices.

Angry Agent points out the company seeks to distance themselves from the "negative vibe". Makes business sense to me. But that raises a question in of itself:

Curiously, (but in the scheme of things personally inconsequential), how is it that a company that ostensibly seeks to distance itself from the negative vibe / press, allow the same core group of guys to label themselves as "Team Phenix Pro Staff"? Is there a Phenix Pro Staff Team that regularly fishes something like bass tournaments?? If so, do the Phenix Pro bass guys attract the same type of negative press as the Phenix Pay Lake Pro Staffers?

Just curious, cause otherwise it seems like the strangest marketing technique for a resurrected company seeking to re-establish itself.

1. if you have the budget, I would go custom. Built around your reel for balance and casting distance. Factory rods, no matter how good, are built on a general template.

2. For factory rods, I'd currently take Phenix Iron Feather. However, they are not that light really but do have a nice crisp response relative to other similar rods due to their titanium guides.

There're various claims about the quality of the blank. Bottom line - I am not impressed by claims but go on measured specs. I think the blanks are good but did not strike me as engineered to maximize performance out of the material as some of the material went to visual presentation.

3. You put titanium micro guides on the Loomis GLX on a custom and I believe it will outperform the Iron Feather in terms of power to weight ratio. It's a matter of physics.

So in summary:
    1. Go custom.
    2. If you can't or won't go custom, go Phenix Iron Feather. Be aware that there seem to be no warranty on it - meaning if it breaks for whatever reason, you pay $120 or something to replace it regardless of whether you abused it or due to manufacturing defect. I could be wrong on this but that's what I was told.

UL

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast