Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: To those of you who fish the surf. ? lbs test?

Default To those of you who fish the surf. ? lbs test?

What do you guys use for the surf? i'm re-spooling my arsenal and i'm mainly looking for what i should re-spool my baitcaster with for throwing LC's.

I currently have 10lbs flouro line spooled onto it, but after thinking about it, i want to go to 12-15lbs mono. good idea?

I've also got my surf drop shot rig spooled with 8lbs flouro, which i believe is around where it should be, right?

6 - 8 lbs. for spinning gear. 10 - 12 for baitcaster. Sucks to lose a LC so you may want to stay closer to 12 on your baitcaster depending on your confidence.

12 should be fine. I've thrown mostly with 10, but that's what i keep on my cranking rod. I wouldn't worry too much about the line class unless you fish around quite a bit of loose salad or a heavily rocky place. Even if there is a significant amount of dense kelp floating around, you should be able to slide it back into you unless you fish a beach with a bit of slope to it.

10-12lb test, 8-10lb is also fine for the harbor

10# Fireline crystal , nothing beats it

I like 6-8 Seaguar red label or INXZX on the spinning gear and 10lb on baitcaster.

10lb fluoro is perfect, but if you want to bump up to 12lb mono/fluoro there isn't an issue. You could run 50lb braid to a 12lb fluoro topshot as well (saves you money in the long run since you only have to swap out the topshot). 8lb is what you want for the dropshot. I'd hit it up with what you have now seeing as replacing a spool of fluoro is expensive.