Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: DVL-Stripers 0, Buelgill 21

Default DVL-Stripers 0, Buelgill 21

This is my second time to DVL, arrived late at 7:30. There were about 15-20 cars in line still, at 7:30 on a weekday. People must love this place, esp. since it had opened an hour earlier. I had dreams of big bass and striper. I finally launched the boat at 8:15.

After about 3 hrs, I caught one 12” bass with a scrounger/soft jerk bait, nothing on a senko. I also had a heavy hit on a 6” trout throw bait. It had followed the lure from the deep and bit almost right at boat-side…. no hook up!

I did bring a box of red meal worms just in case of a striper skunk and found some nice bluegill at 40 ft. It was non stop action for about 1.5 hours. The biggest one was 10 inches. I had released about 15, some of which were good sized ones, and kept 21. I had to poke their bladders to get them back down to the bottom.

I’m not sure what I need to do to put some striper in the boat. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

SA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluegill dvl 006.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	26780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluegill dvl 002.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	26781  

That is some good eating there! When the kids were little they would not eat fish till we fried up some gill's. When I was done frying they were all gone lucky I eat while cooking.
    Nice catch...

Good eating. Too bad a 30 pound striper didn't roll up on one of those bluegill when you were reeling them in!

i say u need to stay east of the marina and use BIG spoons or castmasters.....thats what my dad and my buddy uses and they caught DD stripers

Nice mess of fish. Next time you find a spot with Bluegill, if you want to get the larger ones, get out your 2 or 4 lb outfits and put on a yellow or white 1/32 oz mini tube jig and butt hook a live cricket or waxworm onto it. Fish on the bottom bouncing it along and hang on!

nice going on the bluegill. i like eating those and would target them but too bad dvl is a bit far....

Thanks for the tip Ramon.

Fishmounter, I bet the cricket or waxworm would be excellent. Great tip bouncing it along the bottom. That big one was on a pearl white mini-jig. That was the first time I had used a meal worm. They fit perfectly threaded into the skirt, very active and a lively presentation.

Bluegills at Diamond Valley are very aggressive and often bite on lures, like your big one, but I guess having bait couldn't hurt. Looks like some great Bluegill fishing you got into.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3855.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	26907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3855.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	26907
    Quote Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
    This is my second time to DVL, arrived late at 7:30. There were about 15-20 cars in line still, at 7:30 on a weekday. People must love this place, esp. since it had opened an hour earlier. I had dreams of big bass and striper. I finally launched the boat at 8:15.

After about 3 hrs, I caught one 12” bass with a scrounger/soft jerk bait, nothing on a senko. I also had a heavy hit on a 6” trout throw bait. It had followed the lure from the deep and bit almost right at boat-side…. no hook up!

I did bring a box of red meal worms just in case of a striper skunk and found some nice bluegill at 40 ft. It was non stop action for about 1.5 hours. The biggest one was 10 inches. I had released about 15, some of which were good sized ones, and kept 21. I had to poke their bladders to get them back down to the bottom.

I’m not sure what I need to do to put some striper in the boat. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

SA
    How you guys cooking up these things. Caught a grip last week using shad this size but didnt know how to cook them so I released them all.