Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 lb vs. 4 lb line

Quote Originally Posted by VietReefer View Post
    Since I've started a month ago, I've fished with 4lb Floroclear, but one day when I was fishing with Geraldlim and he was using 2lb Mono and was making cast much farther man I could which made me wondering was it the line, reel or casting techniques or rod length differences which prevented me to cast only 2/3 of his distance.
    You know what they say VietReefer - it's not the size of the rod.......it's how you use it.

Seriously though, That day I was using 2 lb mono cuz it's softer and tangles less, on a 7 ft Berkley Tactix trout rod. The rod, line and lure weight are matched, and we were throwing straight 1/32 oz mini jigs that day. I can cast significantly further with 2lb line vs 4 lb line on this setup. If I really want distance I add a small clear casting bubble float completely filled with water.

The people who like Maxima should go to the Fred Hall Show. For the first day or two they usually have stepped test line ie 2.5, 3.5. 4.5 etc.

For those who like light line, the 2.5 is nice cause it offers 25% more strength than 2lb.

I had to throw my hat in this ring and say that Gerald is right on the money on this one 2lb line 1000 size reel 7 foot 4-10 fast action rod mono all the way.Also I love those clear casting bubbles half filled with water they work great and I usually choose to use a swivel instead of twisting it that way I can have a heavier main line maybe on a 2500 reel with 8lb line and just a leader of 2lb oh and I like maxima... izor and pline are OK though

I'll throw 2 cents in also ... First off, a 7ft plus rod (I use a 7, 8, and a 9 depending on conditions), then a couple of 20 plus year old Shimano Sedonas with 2# Izor clear mono. My catch rate is high, I can cast a loooong way (even into the wind), and throw nothing more than 1/8 oz and down to 1/32 oz. I know flouro is almost invisible in the water, but 2 # Izor is nearly as invisible, and a whole lot stronger. Largest trout I caught was almost 13#, a 10# Brown, and many in the smaller ranges too. Don't over engineer the set-up, simple and reliable WILL catch more fish. Learn to know what's the right drag setting for you line and reel ... and you've got it whooped.

I noticed you said you recently began trout fishing, being fairly new the biggest difference between the two (2#-4#) is the 4# pound will allow for inexperienced mistakes such as bad rod position or incorrect drag settings, where as the 2# pound isnt as forgiving and will snap you off. Everything else in this discussion has been thoroughly covered above. Hope that helps. Good Luck Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by royboii View Post
    If thats P-Line fluoroclear youre talking about.. get rid of it. Its garbage.
    And your opinion is based off what?

I like the P-Line Floroclear It has a thinner diameter than most monos or copolymers, holds knots well and is very limp and cast-able. I've used the 6# for trout, crappie, catfish and stripers. The 4# works great for trout and crappie as well. I fish for striper in the aqueduct all the time and use 10-12# floroclear for that as well. I've only lost 2 fish to snapped line and both of those were my fault for being lazy and not retying after catching a fish and noticing that the line was abraded.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123