Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Johnny Morris Signature and/or Gold Series of baitcasting reels

Default Johnny Morris Signature and/or Gold Series of baitcasting reels

I had a chance to get a couple of Johnny Morris Signature Series baitcasters. Having them in my hand I feel the quality and like them but I seem to like JMX 10HB better than JMX 10HC. I also know that Bass Pro Shop has a Gold Series of baitcasters. I have some questions...

(1) what's the differences between JMX 10HB and JMX 10HC ?
    (2) what models are the best ?
    (3) what models are the most liked ?
    (4) what's the difference between Signature and Gold Series ?
    (5) does anyone know the history of these baitcasters ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by ytail View Post
    (5) does anyone know the history of these baitcasters ?
    I know that the tooling for some of their baitcasters are done by other reel companies.

I also do have a terrible experience with all BassPro branded rods and reels, and would rather purchase a Shimano or Daiwa in the same price range.

The reel retails $159.99. I'd buy a Curado for that price.

JMHO, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I know that the tooling for some of their baitcasters are done by other reel companies.

I also do have a terrible experience with all BassPro branded rods and reels, and would rather purchase a Shimano or Daiwa in the same price range.

The reel retails $159.99. I'd buy a Curado for that price.

JMHO, obviously.
    Ditto.....

Most BPS reels are made by Pfleuger ...
    IMO, bottom of the line reels at best.
    Poor quality Metals and bearings to save a penny and you end up with trash...

Stick with the known quality of Daiwa & Shimano etc..........(Abu Garcia has come way up with new Revo/Tor0 series)...

I see the inside of a lot of reels...
    IMO, Shimano gets better with price in Quality of metals, drags, Bearings etc.
    breaking point is about 100/150 $ range for good quality...

Daiwa has the same Quality from cheap to highest priced reels...
    But the high end isnt the quality of Shimano's high end....

Hope that makes sense??????????????

Default bass pro reels

dude, bass pro makes some good reels. they have a wide selection and i would agree with the other responses that some of the lower end stuff isn't very good. however, I have 2 gold series reels and a jmx10hc and they are outstanding.

many people aren't familiar with bps reels because they only come out of 1 store. however, i have had some guys look and play with them that work for high end tackle shops and they are quite surprised.

the gold series reels are the high end reels. when they originally came out, they were selling at 269. These are more than comprable to any curado, and actually probably a little better. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are better than the Shimano Core.

Every product has it's place in the product line and Bass Pro Reels do make SOME that rank pretty high.

I agree totally with riverside angler....but maybe its because where both from riverside...na but in all honesty they are awesome reels ....now if your mostly a salt water angler then I would for sure go with a shimano or an abu Garcia...but for fresh water the jimmy are good reels...I have taken mine out to the salt many times and it handled very well.
    .but I would say it mostly depends on what you are fishing for.
    proud owner of the JMX10SHLD

Brad1
    Last edited by brad1; 11-12-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Thank you all for your input. Since I acquired several Johnny Morris Signature baitcasters I sold most and am keeping only one for myself. To my surprise one of the JMX 10HB's in excellent condition was sold for over $110 on eBay and the high bidder is in Australia. There are indeed a lot of people love these reels.

I have one of the original JM series reels. It casts better than most reels in its price range, including comparable Shimano D & E series Curados. I also have 2 of their Extremes, one in the old style framing. Had all my XPS reels for 5+ years of use, and they perform without fail. Their drags aren't great compared to a Revo or Daiwa, but they certainly are at par with Shimano's Dartanium washers.