Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Got a new spinning setup need advice on braid or mono.

Default Got a new spinning setup need advice on braid or mono.

I just received a new medium spinning set up and was looking to try my hand at bass fishing with it. I've never bass fished before so I wouldn't really know where to start in terms of line. Here is my problem. I was thinking of use 8lb mono but I don't want to be gut hooking bass :/. I know mono has a good bit of stretch to it and I am afraid that if I don't react and set quick enough I may end up with a dead bass on the end of my line. Is this something I should be concerned about if so would the lack of stretch provided by braid help? What lb test of braid would be recommended? Help! I really don't want to kill any bass :\

A medium spinning set up with 8lbs mono is a great way to start bass fishing. Will you be fishing from shore or boat. I wouldn't recommend it for fishing in heavy cover. Being new to bass fishing , you will want to start with mono so that you understand the basics first. The stretch on mono will help you greatly on landing fish. If I were you I would hook set everything that you feel is a bite to you because that way you will learn to distinguish which are bites and which are not. Also you should never wait for a fish to bite again......once you feel the bite you should set the hook quick. The only other thing to do is get out there and fish because thats how you learn...along with reading and watching YouTube....good luck and I hope this helps.

Thanks bassgrabber. This weekend I will be fishing from a boat during the early afternoon. Can you still use d/s and texas rigs from a boat? How different is the bass bite from a trout bite? I know what a trout bite feels like lol...

Bass hit a bait in many different ways. Think of it like this....when a bass hits a worm or Texas rig he inhales the bait then you feel the thump. Thats when you set the hook. As soon as that bass feels that the bait is fake then he will spit it out. Bass will also bite and you will never feel it....but you will see your line going left or right or even just slack. Other times bass will hit on the drop. And other times like a freight train....just go out there and fish...you'll be fine. Trout hit like a freight train everytime....lol. Drop shot and Texas rigg is pretty much the easiest rigs to use and yes they work perfect from a boat.