Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fluorocarbon for throwing LCs and big hammers?

sooo, basically u claimed to have heard braid and floro was water proof. i proceeded to tell you they werent, then you find this article and think i need it? -_-;

Quote Originally Posted by evosamurai View Post
    when asking Q's i post on here and on BD forum...then i usually get more responses on bd and faster, give it a try
    Go ahead join the dark side, they have cookies over there

Quote Originally Posted by ushone View Post
    sooo, basically u claimed to have heard braid and floro was water proof. i proceeded to tell you they werent, then you find this article and think i need it? -_-;
    I never said you need it I'm just saying that it says flouro is waterproof so I thought I should bring it up

But your missing what i told you was that no matter how water proof it is, as it comes out the water its going to have water on it, water that is going to end up on you reel. Maybe it is waterproof and wont become saturated, but that is different from being hydrophobic where it basically would come out of the water dry; which is what you were describing as to what you were hoping to find. Also like i said earlier along with bsp is that salt water isnt that big of a deal long as your giving your reels a freshwater rinse at the end of the day and you do a monthly or every other month cleaning. Now if you get sand in their and enough of it, you could possibly have it seize up and be forced to clean it.

so to recap- You WILL get saltwater on and in your reel no matter which line you use and its no big deal, just rinse it out and clean it monthly

edit* that article also says on the 4th page "We performed tests with each line in both wet and dry conditions and were able to validate one claim right off the bat. That is, that fluorocarbon lines, do not absorb much water and were not very affected during our tests whether wet or dry." do not absorb much(key word)
    Last edited by ushone; 04-01-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armofisher818 View Post
    Go ahead join the dark side, they have cookies over there
    oh...i dont want a cookie though...

Quote Originally Posted by Armofisher818 View Post
    I've always heard braid and flouro are water proof and im
    Not worried about sand as much cause I can clean that off its the saltwater that I'm worried about that will get into somewhere you can't see and mess up your reel
    I think your over thinking everything. Just go fishing and stop thinking about it.
    Fished 5 - 6 pm yesterday at King Harbor. Used braid and didn't even rinse the reel.
    Don't worry about painting your reels too.

Work on the boat and get that Mercedes running and learn mechanics, electrical.
    DR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123