Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New guy here. Just saying hello with some questions..

Default New guy here. Just saying hello with some questions..

Hey all I'm from San Diego. Originally from Pittsburgh, been fishing since I was a kid. My dad was huge into bass fishing and with B.A.S.S federation. I can remember as a kid going to fishing tourneys all over the country (except west coast). I love to fish but have been out of it for many years. Mainly because I lived in Las Vegas and just didn't make the time to do it with work and kids...

I went fishing at DVL and tore it up last year and ever since then I caught the bug (again). So I thought I would find a forum about fishing in SoCal and found this one. So far I've been trolling and reading and found some good info here.

Onto my question; I am going to take my daughter DVL for some crappie fishing next Friday. Yes there are probbly better places to fish for crappies but I want to do some LMB fishing in the morning then switch over to panfish/bass. Want I dont want to happen is to burn her out LMB fishing. We know how that can be, cast and cast alot with nothing. So if I can get her onto some fun fishing with light tackle I know it will be so cool for her. So can any of you offer some suggestions on where to find the panfish at DVL. I do know about the concrete stairs by the dam. Anyplace else you can think of? I'm open for traveling to different parts of the lake to chase them at different times if I have to.

I'm going to be using worms, mealworms, crickets and small jigs for the crappie.

Thanks again for offering any suggestions.
    Chop.

i dont really target the panfish out there but have caught quite a few of them on drop shot night crawler with a tiny split shot as the weight... i have had the best success by the dams and also have caught them on the road near the east dam ... hope this helps a little

Quote Originally Posted by hookup View Post
    i dont really target the panfish out there but have caught quite a few of them on drop shot night crawler with a tiny split shot as the weight... i have had the best success by the dams and also have caught them on the road near the east dam ... hope this helps a little
    Yea that's why I am going to give DVL a try for panfish. Nobody really goes after them there. It seems like a Bass only lake with good reason. I'll be fishing for LMB and have my daughter use a drop shot with cricket or worm and let it sit while I cast with a popper and drop shot with senko in the morning. Then switch over to looking for panfish in the afternoon until the sun starts a shadow on the west side of the lake then I'll probably switch back over to bass. I'm thinking in the afternoon panfish session we'll be looking for them about 20-40 feet. That's my game plan for now unless somebody else can chime in and set me straight....

Thanks
    Chop.

The panfish pretty much bit all day last year around this time. Yeah the stairs at the east dam, but also try Rawson cove in the submerged trees, and waaayyyyy over at the west dam south corner, was good last year too. Ask the old guy where you pay, he's got great panfish tips. Don't know about crappies though, I've only filled coolers with gills and redears. Cool thing about rawson is you can go for bass at the same time as your girl gets on the panfish. You may even get a few surprise bass on the mealworms too.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG107 View Post
    The panfish pretty much bit all day last year around this time. Yeah the stairs at the east dam, but also try Rawson cove in the submerged trees, and waaayyyyy over at the west dam south corner, was good last year too. Ask the old guy where you pay, he's got great panfish tips. Don't know about crappies though, I've only filled coolers with gills and redears. Cool thing about rawson is you can go for bass at the same time as your girl gets on the panfish. You may even get a few surprise bass on the mealworms too.
    Now were talking. Thanks bro. I'll def hit up Rawson first thing.

Tomorrow is day that I get to take the Family to DVL. I think I'm ready... Plenty of Roboworms, senkos, plugs, spinners (for the wife), panfish jigs, live crickets, mealworms and nightcrawlers. Talked to a guy today and said that I should try the 2 buoys to the left of the marina first then over to the East dam. Anybody else got a good spot(s) they want to divulge to a guy just looking to get his kids on some fish... No worries your secret is/will be safe with me.. I'll be throwing a dropshot with Martguerita mutilator or some type of purple/brown worm first. Any suggestions also would be helpful too...

Thanks Chop.

You know what a nail rig is wacky hooked? The best way to catch fish at diamond valley is a wacky rigged morning dawn robo worm, hands down. You will catch 50 fish if you pitch it on the banks. If you fish deeper you might get the occasional bigger fish. I don't care what these guys say on here, DVL is a tough place to fish if you dont fish it everyday, like some of these guys do. I only get out once a month, maybe once every two months and it's entirely different each time I go.

I went today and we managed about 10-12 fish, nothing over 3 pounds. We caught fish on Robo's, football jigs, and bass Jucky Craft jerk-baits. Threw the shell cracker a lot for nada. STraight across the lake to the left of Rawson's cove, there are some Eucalyptus trees. Lots of gills, panfish and bass in there. Just to the left of saddle dam, north/west end of the lake, is also a good spot. Corner in the south/west spot is also good. Good luck!