Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use leaders with your braid?

Quote Originally Posted by fish-hound View Post
    May I ask how you attach the leader to the main line? DO you use a swivel, slip ring, or just tie line to line? When I Carolina rig I tie my main line to a swivel then tie the leader on to the swivel.

I personally go line to line so the knot will go thru my guides with less hassle... and i use a uni to uni knot or ive heard it called a pretzel knot before also i think a nail knot would do the trick i just perfer uni to uni

Thanks guys for the help. Right after that flies post I had to go somewhere with my parents and I didn't get home till 10:00 and I was tired. Ok thanks for all the replys. Bman I am mainly throwing baits under 2 oz. Is 15 lb test ok? Bo$$PMP I will use the blood knot. Thanks for suggesting the knot to use. Bman I didn't know there was a different section. Thanks for telling me and I will post something like this there in the future.gogreenz4 I fish at Eldo mostly but I very rarely go to Dixon or Poway.I am mainly throwing baits under 2 oz. For example I have been through 6 in hudds and jerry rago generic trout 6in. I have occasinaly thrown 3:16 little boogers but I was testing them because I got them for christmas. Fish hound the problem is that I am not using a leader I just go 15 lb braid to the lure. I am trying to see what would be the best way to connect a leader. Thanks for the input guys.

Ok I will experiment with the uni to uni knot. Thank you all again and sorry for the late reply to you guys. I am kinda embarressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman1414 View Post
    Ok I will experiment with the uni to uni knot. Thank you all again and sorry for the late reply to you guys. I am kinda embarressed.
    Dont trip dude!!! you dont got to reply by a certian time hahahaha but i typically through my 6 inch hudds on 40 lbs power pro braid with a 20-16 lbs seagur flouro leader... use the uni to uni that knot is sooooper simple and holds on tight ( if you tie it right)

good luck my dude

Thanks guys for the help. Right after that flies post I had to go somewhere with my parents and I didn't get home till 10:00 and I was tired. Ok thanks for all the replys. Bman I am mainly throwing baits under 2 oz. Is 15 lb test ok? Bo$$PMP I will use the blood knot. Thanks for suggesting the knot to use. Bman I didn't know there was a different section. Thanks for telling me and I will post something like this there in the future.gogreenz4 I fish at Eldo mostly but I very rarely go to Dixon or Poway.I am mainly throwing baits under 2 oz. For example I have been through 6 in hudds and jerry rago generic trout 6in. I have occasinaly thrown 3:16 little boogers but I was testing them because I got them for christmas. Fish hound the problem is that I am not using a leader I just go 15 lb braid to the lure. I am trying to see what would be the best way to connect a leader. Thanks for the input guys.

Hi Bassman1414,

I think you will definitely end up trying a few knots before you are really comfortable when joining lines. I've been using the uni-to-uni knot for several years now when joining co-polymer or flouro to smaller or similar diameter flouro leaders and have been very happy (using for Texas Rigged baits). When I started using braid with a flouro leader (using them on my jigs and small swimbaits) I've been happy with the Alberto ( or modified Albright) ....that seems like a great knot for that application.

You should start googling and you tubing different knots and start trying them out. You'll probably lose some baits, but you'll learn as you go. Before u know it, you'll be showing others how to do them.

-b

No worries!! I thought u were getting very sound advice and there are lots of ways to go on your setup, It's just better to give more info because many others are probably doing what u are trying and can save u some $, headaches, and lost time at the lakes.

-b

I switch between the blood knot and the uni to uni. the uni to uni is very easy to make but i find that for lighter lines i like using the blood knot. as for length on the leader i usually just do the span from one hand to the other (which is about 5.5 feet) and i always use floro leaders i prefer fc sniper.

Thanks guys for the replys. I will check those knots out.Tighhtlines.
    Bassman1414

For connecting braid to fluoro check out the Red Phillips knot. Super easy, small and strong. I have been using it the past year offshore on my jigging and popping rigs, easy to tie on a rocking boat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12