Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW REAL FISHERMAN catch bass at DIAMOND VALLEY LAKE

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Anyone else have a suspicion LOD is the old 30 lber who was the old Dodo?

Though even Dodo had decent spelling
    Cutbait not the Dodo, this dude has been around on other forums before under the name of Bushwacker.
    Last edited by seal; 02-02-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny300 View Post
    Message from Dodo from FB:

Yo..this is dodo and im not lordofthedeep.Hell, im not ugly as he is and can spell better than him.Remember bushwacker?
    You beat me to it Danny, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreath View Post
    Throw nets are illegal.

Sabiki rigs, even if only three hooks, are probably illegal for shad(the reg says only prescribed hand-held nets are legal for taking shad).

Trolling on message boards is legal but gets tiresome.

Did you not get enough attention as a child?

Fishing tales told here - some true.
    The Best of Fishbreath

Actually umbrella nets are legal for taking shad and work very well indeed! Sorry to interrupt the TROLL Bashing please continue this Grass Hopper has much to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Of Fish View Post
    Actually umbrella nets are legal for taking shad and work very well indeed! Sorry to interrupt the TROLL Bashing please continue this Grass Hopper has much to learn!
    I'm all for it, but just can't make an umbrella net fit the rules. Here are the rules, you make your own decision.

4.05. Bait Fish Capture Methods.
    (a) Approved bait fish may be taken only by hand, with a dip net, or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension. .....Dip net use: A dip net must be hand held, and the motion of a dip net shall be caused only by the physical effort of the operator. A dip net may not be moved through the water by any mechanical force or motorized device.

1.42. Dip Net.
    Webbing supported by a frame, and hand held, not more than six feet in greatest dimension, excluding handle.

2.09. Possession of Illegal Gear.
    Except as otherwise provided, no person shall use or possess, except in his or her home, any landing gear, any nets, except standard landing-type dip nets not exceeding 36 inches in greatest dimension, excluding handle, gaffs or spears within 100 yards of any canal, river, stream, lake or reservoir.

I have used umbrella nets right in front of the DFG guys at Lake Skinner . It was 3 or 4 years ago so maybe there was a law or definition change?

I think it fits into the definition as well .

1) The net webbing IS supported by the umbrella frame .
    2) My umbrella nets are under 3 feet in their greatest dimension .
    3) The rope (handle) is held in the operators hand(s) .

I am not trying to be a smart-*** or circumvent the F&G laws in any manner .
    I truly see it that way.

If anyone know absolutely for sure about this one way or another please let me know.
    I will call the Ontario F&G office Monday and get more info on this .

You DID save me some potential grief though as I have been contemplating using my mechanical anchor winch to
    work the net up and down . That is clearly a NO NO !
    So thanks for the edification on that point.
    Last edited by Hunter Of Fish; 02-03-2013 at 06:03 PM.

I am probably too much of a literalist to grasp the concept of a rope being the same as a handle or that a net on a rope is being hand held, but all that aside, they would still probably have you on the technicality of the dimensions. Even the 35" x 35" umbrella nets that BPS sell have a diagonal(hypotenuse) of 49.497". That exceeds the allowable 36" greatest dimension. Keep in mind that the six foot dimension was only mentioned in the definition of a dip net. In other words, if it is larger than six feet it becomes something other than a dip net. Only a dip net not exceeding 36" in its greatest dimension may be used to take bait.
    Last edited by Fishbreath; 02-03-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Yeah yeah yeah but....
    What about The fishing
    The basskicking information that we love to share n read?
    Or is this post 4 CLOWNING?
    Lord or The cheat!

My apologies to the dodo.. maybe I miss him somewhere deep down inside that I wantind loadofsheet as Bob put it to be him.

I aint gonna get in the stupid hoop net argument but the locals at san antonio ONLY use the hoop net. Notta one owns a dip net

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    I aint gonna get in the stupid hoop net argument but the locals at san antonio ONLY use the hoop net. Notta one owns a dip net
    It is kind of a stupid argument isn't it. I would think the net restrictions are designed to limit the intentional or unintentional catch of game fish while capturing bait. I can see where people using hoop nets strictly to capture shad would be a low enforcement priority. However, I can also see a situation where in the process of catching shad someone might keep the baby bass, bluegill, or whatever and put them in their bait bucket along with the shad. That would then become a higher enforcement priority, and if you got cited for that, you would probably get the illegal net thing thrown in with it.

Argument???????? what argument ? I will know tomorrow about the legality of the umbrella net which is NOT a hoop net by the way.
    I am just wondering why the DFG guys were not concerned with me using a supposedly illegal net but they did question me on
    where the frozen shad I had with me at the time was obtained.

I need to update some of my Falconry paperwork with DFG anyways so I will get my answers then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast