Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Freshwater fisherman joining the saltwater game!

Default Freshwater fisherman joining the saltwater game!

Hey all,

I've been a longtime freshwater fisherman and I'm starting to get into the saltwater game. Do you guys have any recommendations? I am planning to do a few 3/4 day trips to get the hang of it and then go into 1.5-2 days trips to get some summer YFT or YT action.

My friends recommended these two starting setups:
    - Avet SX + Shimano TMC-X80MH (8', 12-25 lb)
    - 50# spectra + 20# mono or fluoro topshot

- Avet JX + Calstar 700H
    - 65# spectra + 40# mono

1. However, this particular Shimano rod is no longer being made, and the alternative, the Calstar 800XLH is a bit too pricy. Is there another similar rod that is around the same price range as the Shimano? Or is the Calstar 800XLH worth it?

2. Is there a good and cheap(er) alternative to the Calstar 700H?

3. Any pros/cons between 7' and 8' rods? Some people said that 8' rods don't fit on many boats' rod racks.

4. Any other tips/advice?

Thanks!

Every boat i've been on had no limit to rod length storage. I have a 9ft for casting jigs

teramar is nice

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    teramar is nice
    The Teramar TMC-X80MH is no longer made though, and I don't know the current alternative from Shimano.

Hey kzhlin,

I'm Not sure if your looking to get brand new set-ups for your jump into the saltwater fun. I had a couple of Avet/Calstar combos up for sale recently, that are on page 2 of the "Classified Ads", theres one still for sale.
    The one that's still for sale is a Black Avet JX 4.1:1 that is paired up with a Calstar Grafighter 800L deckhand style. The reel is the original design w/flat side plates and is in excellent condition.
    The rod has had the tip broken off and is at 7" 10" it is in great condition other than missing 2". Fishes like an M instead of the L rating on the label. I have fished this rod many times with 30# mono and have landed tuna & yellows without feeling compromised by the missing 2", and I think it would fish 40# no problem. I'm asking $200.00 for this combo or willing to trade for some freshwater bass or fly gear.
    Shoot me a PM if interested if not you'll have a blast on your saltwater outings, Tuna madness can be very addicting.

Rick V.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    Hey kzhlin,

I'm Not sure if your looking to get brand new set-ups for your jump into the saltwater fun. I had a couple of Avet/Calstar combos up for sale recently, that are on page 2 of the "Classified Ads", theres one still for sale.
    The one that's still for sale is a Black Avet JX 4.1:1 that is paired up with a Calstar Grafighter 800L deckhand style. The reel is the original design w/flat side plates and is in excellent condition.
    The rod has had the tip broken off and is at 7" 10" it is in great condition other than missing 2". Fishes like an M instead of the L rating on the label. I have fished this rod many times with 30# mono and have landed tuna & yellows without feeling compromised by the missing 2", and I think it would fish 40# no problem. I'm asking $200.00 for this combo or willing to trade for some freshwater bass or fly gear.
    Shoot me a PM if interested if not you'll have a blast on your saltwater outings, Tuna madness can be very addicting.

Rick V.
    Thanks man. But my friend owns a fishing store so I'll probably get my stuff from him. But thanks for the offer!

Anymore rod suggestions?

Ever consider a nice spinning reel too? ( I have a Shimano Baitrunner) One trip to San Clemente, you had to cast far from the boat with 1/4 once sinker or flyline anchovies.The only ones getting bit were the guys with spinning reels. That was one of my best trips in salt water.

You really don't need a new Avet/Shimano set-up.
    I have that exact same thing, but I started off with a Penn/Uglystick combo and it worked just fine.
    The only reason I got the Avets and Teramars was because I got them used, off of craigslist.
    Avet SX w/rod and new line, $125
    Avet MX 2 speed, new from rep, $225.
    2 Teramar rods, $180.
    Look for the deals and save some dough.
    Most important is the 2 speed with any rod, 20-40 pound.
    At least 65 pound braid with 20, 30 and 40 pound top shot.
    Good Luck, I will be in San Quentin first week of April looking for YT's.
    Robert
    <><

Thanks for the help!