Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Phenix vs Dobyns

Default Phenix vs Dobyns

Im looking to get a heavy rod for flipping and pitching. I narrowed it down to 2 choices either a Phenix UMBX 703XH or a Dobyns Champion 735C. I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with either one of these rods?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot951 View Post
    Im looking to get a heavy rod for flipping and pitching. I narrowed it down to 2 choices either a Phenix UMBX 703XH or a Dobyns Champion 735C. I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with either one of these rods?
    Most of my rods are Dobyns, and I can't say anything but great things about them. I've used the MBX a few times but don't own any.

As far as the Dobyns, I have the 733C and 734C, which I love, and I think that the 735C would be a great flipping and pitching stick, although I'd look at the 764C for your flipping duties, since it gives you the extra 3 inches you may need to pendulum a bait a bit easier, and if that is too light for your tastes, the ole 765FLIP is made specifically for flipping.

Thanks DarkShadow for the reply.

Ive never fished a dobyns but Ive fished the phenix. Its a great rod. Very solid back bone and will pull fish out of cover. And their warranty is awesome if anything ever went wrong.

*shakka*

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot951 View Post
    DOBYNS!

i swear by the rods and have been fishing them for a long time. ive been through the ringer with rods. dobyns literally are the best rods i've had in my hands. power, sensitivity, good warranty and rods that are designed for techniques that truly match up to them.

depending on what type of flipping you do, open water, heavy cover, light cover, grass... will depend on the rod that will suit your needs.

here are my flipping rods:

champion 805 flip punch- 70# samurai
    champion 805 flip punch- 20# seaguar abrazx
    dx 795 flip- 50# power pro
    dx 795 flip- 15# seaguar abrazx
    dx 745- 30# power pro/15# seaguar abrazx

Thanks guys for the input. I guess I might be seeing you soon in the shop Matt.