Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Surf casting reel questions. any experience with these?

Default Surf casting reel questions. any experience with these?

So I'm looking into dropping some cash on a new surf setup. I've been surfing around the web for good/ affordable reels, and I've decided between a few reels. First is the Daiwa Seagate or Saltist, the Penn Squall, Mag 2 or fathom and then there's the Okuma Cortez. I've read a lot of reviews but very few mention anything about fishing from the surf. So I was wondering if anyone cruising through had any experience with these reels or had any other suggestions. Also looking for a rod around the same price or cheaper. Preferably a 10-14ft.

the avets are nice too and the make a mag cast version

I have the Daiwa Saltist BG35, I love it. Not so sure about surf fishing with the size I got. I never caught anything with it in the surf, but maybe because I have a Daiwa VIP boat rod paired with it and its hard to get distance for me. I've met a few deck hands that have the smaller ones & they use it for everything.

I'm assuming that based on the reel types and rod length, you are looking for a setup to long-cast baits out there. Back when I used to do that, I used a Daiwa SL30SH matched to an old Sabre light 9' jig stick. Not sure that you need a Saltist or any of the other diecast reels you mentioned, so my recommendation would be the Seagate or Mag2. They're a little lighter and should do the trick. Keep in mind that the surf beats up gear a lot more than boat usage so factor in how easy/hard it is to take them apart and do maintenance. Not familiar with the heavier bait/surf rods that are available now.

Hope that helps.
    Don

Thanks for the tip on making sure I get something that I can service easily, haven't thought about that at all. I was leaning a little more towards the squall because it replaced the 525 mag and it feels really good in the hands. Have yet to get my hands on an okuma cortez(not many places carry them).

Hey snapshot, I have an Okuma Cortez reel that I paired with a Okuma Solaris 12'. Thing casts a mile. I'm able to empty 1/2 the spool on the cortez using 40# mono. I backed it with 1/3 spool of 65# braid. Its a great little reel but have had issues with the mag lever automatically adjusting down after each cast and had problems with the cast control not working. Probably just my luck to get the black sheep of the batch. I also have a daiwa sealine sl30sl or slosh as they call it paired on an Okuma cedros 10'. That reel is a killer on the cast. I can pretty much empty that spool with 25# mono on my 12' Solaris although I feel like it might have been a better idea to get the Seagate as it feel like it has more power. I've tried the Seagate 50 on my brothers 13' Okuma Hdc custom in hawaii while fishing ulua. Love that reel, casts great has centri brake and good power as well as a great speed ratio. I would say I would take that over the slosh due to the power properties of the reel especially when casting surf casters near the kelp beds here in Cali. Penn's are always great just don't like the line cap, its commonly lower on the Penn's for line cap but they are definitely super reliable and perform well. Hope this helps. I know when I choose my gear helps to get some feedback on the performance of things, let me know if you have any Q's I might be able to help w/. I'm no expert but hey any additional info on things are always great. Good luck on your new set up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulua1 View Post
    Hey snapshot, I have an Okuma Cortez reel that I paired with a Okuma Solaris 12'. Thing casts a mile. I'm able to empty 1/2 the spool on the cortez using 40# mono. I backed it with 1/3 spool of 65# braid. Its a great little reel but have had issues with the mag lever automatically adjusting down after each cast and had problems with the cast control not working. Probably just my luck to get the black sheep of the batch. I also have a daiwa sealine sl30sl or slosh as they call it paired on an Okuma cedros 10'. That reel is a killer on the cast. I can pretty much empty that spool with 25# mono on my 12' Solaris although I feel like it might have been a better idea to get the Seagate as it feel like it has more power. I've tried the Seagate 50 on my brothers 13' Okuma Hdc custom in hawaii while fishing ulua. Love that reel, casts great has centri brake and good power as well as a great speed ratio. I would say I would take that over the slosh due to the power properties of the reel especially when casting surf casters near the kelp beds here in Cali. Penn's are always great just don't like the line cap, its commonly lower on the Penn's for line cap but they are definitely super reliable and perform well. Hope this helps. I know when I choose my gear helps to get some feedback on the performance of things, let me know if you have any Q's I might be able to help w/. I'm no expert but hey any additional info on things are always great. Good luck on your new set up!!!
    Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!