Quote Originally Posted by lazyfisherman View Post
Using the gear you have, you have enough to fish 3/4 days with a couple addition.

Torium 16 with Seeker American Series A270H-8'CT (15-25-40)

This combo can be used as your main set up. Spool with spectra with a topshot of 25 lb mono. Bring some extra 20, 25, 30 lb top shots to switch out when needed.

Since you have only 500 to spend to fill out the rest of your setups, here's the bare minimum you would need for fishing the islands.

Get a 40 lb rod for the torium 30 to throw jigs and for heavier application. Only time I have ever used 40 lb test on a trip to Catalina or to the Coronados was to throw jigs. Everything else, I have used 20, 25, or 30 lb line. I prefer 9 ft or longer, but it does get harder to cast when longer. I would suggest a 8 ft rod for this. Calstar, Seeker, or Phenix all make excellent rod. I have been really liking the Phenix Abyss series rods. Phenix Abyss 809, Calstar 800H, Seeker 6480H would all work.

This would leave you with approximately 300 for a light setup. I agree with Tailchaser. You can find used Shimano Curado 300E's for around 150. Add a Teramar and should use up all your budget. Honestly, you don't have to go buy a lot of gear to fish the islands. I still prefer to use my old Newells vs the newer reels that are out. You can also use the Squidder on Seeker American Series A196-7' (10-15-25) as a 15 lb bait rod as well.
Thanks for the advice guys just wanted to give an update on what I'm ending up with.

I went out a few times and kind of have a feel for what i would like to add.

I ordered a Penn fathom 25n. I really liked it when I was at a tackle shop and saw a good price online. Couldn't resist!

I spooled the Torium 16 w/ 330yds of 55# Daiwa boat braid. Have plenty of room left. Have been using a 30# leader but can add a top shot or change out leader. I Also ordered 1800m more of the 55# Daiwa boat braid. I really liked it, so I am planning to put it on my torium 30 and fathom25n with topshots that I can change out as needed.

So i will be using the torium 16 and seeker a270h-8' as my main stick for bait. Can also use the fathom if I end up liking it better for this application. I cast a few irons with this rod yesterday and think i can definitely use a dedicated jigstick. This way i have the jigstick ready to go with a surface iron and don't need to change out my main setup. Also this rod is a bit to flexible and parabolic for a jig. So i will be hunting for a 8' to 9'+ jigstick like the ones lazy mentioned on the classifieds or try wrapping one myself.

I have always like the seeker a196-7' so I would like to keep using it for light applications but the squidder isn't cutting it. The free spool on the squidder is nice but if there is ever any backlash it eats the line. Really frustrating. So i may find a different reel to use on this rod or use one of my other light reals for now. Would the shimano curado pair well with the 196? or a calcutta. the 196 is very soft and has a really slow action. I think would work well with braid.

I also plan to go on a 1.5 day boat from San Diego in a few weeks for yellowtail and blue fin tuna. So I may order a short jigging rod for yo-yoing which i can pair with the torium 30 and also use for fishing the bottom w/ heavier weights.