Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Help with rigging large swimbaits

Default Help with rigging large swimbaits

Wanting to start throwing large swimbaits.
    I have a Johnny Morris MH rod & reel & am going to throw some new 8" baits. (approx 3 oz)
    Do I spool it with 30# braid?
    What are your thoughts?

Not sure bout that MH rod for 3 OZ baits. Might look into at least a Heavy rated rod. I found braid hard to throw big baits with, I prefer 30# mono. I might have been using to small of braid 65# but seemed to tend to get hung up in the reel- Calcutta conquest 400 throwing the baits. Never have any problems with the Mono, except for the first cast of the morning specially with breaking fish and throwing the big bait on dry mono and burning like 5 layers of skin of my thumb LOL. Was good to go once mono was wet.
    I use a 8' Lamiglas Big Bait rod.

I agree with bassmeister. As I am no pro with the swimbaits I have been fishing them a lot at Castaic for the last few months. I tried to go on the cheap getting into it with a H Umbrella rig set up from BPS and was under gunned on a 3 oz Savage bait. I fished some braid but ultimately went to 20lb mono. I bought the Okuma Guide series rod that is almost 8 feet and I also got a Quantum PT Pro Swimbait rod (its awesome). Swimbait heavy rods and LMB heavy rods are 2 totally different things. Even trying to cheat with an inshore rod might be tough because of the action although I see guys do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4fish View Post
    Wanting to start throwing large swimbaits.
    I have a Johnny Morris MH rod & reel & am going to throw some new 8" baits. (approx 3 oz)
    Do I spool it with 30# braid?
    What are your thoughts?
    Braid= snapped off baits and bent out hooks. Get a rod rated for 3-5oz and a big low profile or a decent sized cidcular reel. I have a okuma guide select extra heavy, and a shimano cardiff spooled with 25lb big game. I can throw everything from a 6in hudd to a deps 250.