Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with my LURE?

Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post
    i switch out all my topwater stuff with the biggest "stinger treble" i can get away with. just what i do.
    Do you suffer any loss of lure action when you go with a bigger treble, especially with your topwater stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Do you suffer any loss of lure action when you go with a bigger treble, especially with your topwater stuff?

I like it better when the top water stuff is slightly below the surface. Sub topwater creates a better wake.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    doesnt matter to me when i'm fishing for striper because i usually throw out super spooks (the one with 3 trembles) and just walk it. not much loss in lure action, to tell you the truth.

This past year ive experamented with many lures in the duct,,and have learned ALOT.
    When stripers hit a lure, usually it,s from underneith and at a high rate of speed.

Ive seen thelm do this countless times while throwing shallow running minnow like plugs,
    thay will often miss the hooks only to return and try again at it.
    My soultion to this problem was EASY
    I STARTED ONLY USING THIS TYPE OF LURE IF IT HAD 3 TREBS HANGING UNDER IT and my hookup rate increased from abought 50% of the time to abought 95% of the time<or better> on this type of lure.

I hope this helps bro,,IT SURE DID FOR ME!!
    T,BLAZER

Quote Originally Posted by one_leg View Post
    Was that 1" tag end on there when you were using that lure, like it is in the 2nd pic?

Maybe that spooked the fish.

Ugly color lure, maybe it spit it out b/c it was finicky?

Better luck next time.
    Nothing bother with color, it attracted the lure, it is almost looks like smelt or minnow fish. I will check out a treble hook if it is needed replace a new one Owen hook. Thanks for comment.
    Last edited by RamboBoy; 12-29-2008 at 06:07 PM.

Hi all, thanks for the comment and share the tip and your feed back.

Some of comments mentioned about the topwater lure. This topwater is the best for a summer time at the duct.

Right now winter time this time I will use the lures of shad lipless and blue minnow (deep 3 to 7 feet under water).

Trail Blazer, thanks for the tip and feed back. I am a newbie fishing on the Duct since September to now, so I will be more studying and learning the fishing method on the Duct in the new year 2009, LOL.

Again, thanks all! By the way, I will change a new treble hook Owen for next fishing trip!

My head hurts

Quit checking those crap hooks and get rid of them. Might as well sharpen a paper clip it would be better than the junk hanging from the bottom of that lure. I like gamakatsu 4X trebles. Get rid of that ugly stick to.

The type of hooks on that particular lure are a galvainzed saltwater type of hook, I would definitely switch out to a chemically sharpened hook such as an Owner or a Gamakatsu treble, maybe even go one size up. Koshaws was on to something with the fact that the Ugly sticks do not have much back bone and will not drive the hooks home quite as effectively. The premium stick for a crankbait (or anyother type of bait that employs trebels) is a soft tip as to not rip the hooks from the fishes mouth but a rod that does become stout 12-18" into the rod so that you do maintain control of the fish. The three treble style of rip bait would of course increase your hook ratio. The Rapala X-Rap comes with chemically sharpend hooks and an extra large shank on one of the rear hooks to increase the hook and hold % of those types of baits. Look into it. They are great lures to boot. I hope this helps.

Default Good Info.

It's a combination of the LURE, GEAR, and HOW the Striper takes the bait. Everyone has given you good info.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast